When I hear the name of a beauty brand I’ve never tried or am unfamiliar with, I simply won’t stand for it. Big or small, I wanna try ’em all. These 8 under the radar indie brands make me smile, with their funny names and their unique packaging designs. I am loving Sephora’s new Scouted by Sephora section for introducing me to brands such as these. I suspect they won’t be indie much longer!
1. Chosungah 22 Dong Gong Minn Brow Maker I mean, the product name has the word dong in it. It looks like school supplies but once you see the innovative wand, you’ll be making brows before you can say dong gong. I can’t say it or write it without laughing. Created by a Korean makeup artist, Chosungah is all about making beauty fun. You can’t look at their packaging without smiling.
2. USLU Airlines Lipstick Founded by makeup artist Feride Uslu, this air travel-themed line retails cosmetics in packaging that is uber sleek and clean. The lipstick shade names are airport abbreviations. Their airbrush makeup is totally intriguing to me and their rounded rubbery lipstick tubes will make you want to reach through the screen and touch them!
belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb First thing’s first; it’s pronounced belief. This herbal-based skincare line became popular in Korea and finally made it’s way to us. Their products are free of mineral oil, preservatives, dyes, fragrances and animal ingredients. Their Aqua Bomb moisturizer truly is truly bomb. It hydrates while feeling lightweight and is so gentle.
3. Herbivore Coco Rose Coconut Oil Lip Polish With it’s super chic, minimalist packing, (like that font though,) Herbivore won me over on looks alone. Herbivore means an animal that feeds on plants so it’s no surprise that the line is organic and botanical-based. Their lip polish harnesses the power of coconut oil as well as shea butter and meadowfoam seed oil.
7. MILK MAKEUP Lip + Cheek Milk Makeup was born from the famous Milk Studios. The focus of their beauty products is ease of application, efficiency and multi-use functionality. Their Milk Melt technology allows for one swipe and done application. You know they’re ahead of the curve when one of their creative directors is beauty and fashion editor Zanna Roberts Rassi. Their tagline says it best: high concept, low maintenance. If I could describe the Milk girl, I’d say basic betches need not apply.
4. Too Cool For School Dinoplatz Triceratops Multi-Face Palette I think this takes the cake for weirdest name on this list. I mean really, do you know of any other beauty line that is dinosaur-themed? Didn’t think so. This Korean brand has a serious sense of humor, never taking beauty or themselves too seriously. I like it. They have the kooky K-beauty skincare offerings as well as makeup like this highlighting and contouring palette.
6. Drunk Elephant Virgin Marula Luxury Facial Oil Antioxidant and omega-rich marula oil is the foundation of this skincare line. As for the funny name, it’s been said that elephants get drunk when they eat the fermented fruit from the marula tree. Whether or not it’s true, it’s cute to think about. Drunk Elephant products are cruelty-free, vegan, natural, and organic, and do not contain gluten, essential oils, fragrances, or colorants. They are also an International Elephant Foundation supporter so I love them even now. Druuuuunk in loooove!
5. Farmacy Lip Bloom With flavors that fit right in at your local farmer’s market, these lip balms are ultra-hydrating and thick, just how I like my lip products. Even the weirder sounding ones like Apple Rosemary smell wonderful. Farmacy, which is a genius name, is all about farm-grown, herbal-based skincare. You’ll find echinacea in a lot of their products but never any parabens, sulfates or phthalates.