I’m obsessed with teeth. It’s the first thing I notice about people. I think white teeth are a basic necessity, not a luxury. Everyone deserves to have a sparkling smile! Carbon Coco reached out asking if I’d like to try their natural teeth whitening powder and I was all about it of course. Keep reading to find out if you can kiss whitestrips and bleaching trays goodbye forever.Carbon Coco Activated Charcoal Tooth Polish contains organic coconut shell activated charcoal, bentonite powder and lemon myrtle. It comes in a flat, plastic jar that my husband has almost confused for his Aveda Grooming Clay on more than one occasion. It also comes with a bamboo toothbrush with gray bristles which is nice. No need to ruin yours!
HOW TO USE CARBON COCO
Simply wet the bamboo toothbrush, dip into the powder and tap off. Brush teeth for 3o seconds, rinse and brush teeth normally with toothpaste.
I asked Carbon Coco if the product is safe for teeth and non-damaging to tooth enamel and this was their response:
“Aside from your pearly white smile, fresh breath and healthy gums, no negative side effects from using these products. 🙂 The products are not abrasive at all and they basically just absorb and pull out toxins and stains away from the teeth. Also, the charcoal powder is very fine so it doesn’t harm the enamel. The tooth polish also has bentonite clay that helps remineralise your teeth. Both have no harmful chemicals as well.”BEFORE
My teeth are already nice and white. I just use a whitening toothpaste but I do drink coffee so I’m not sure how they stay that way. I only drink white wine though, not red, so maybe that helps? DURING
Isn’t it so fun? I love how pitch black this is. I felt like a real-life zombie. If you don’t enjoy looking at this in your mouth while brushing, we probably won’t be friends. It totally looks like I was nomming on some potting soil. AFTER
As you can see above, there are particles of the Carbon Coco embedded under my gums. These are usually gone by morning but if you’re using the product during the day, this can be noticeable and unsightly. When I asked Carbon Coco if this was safe, this was their response:
“Can you please try brushing in small gentle circles (to avoid pushing the products under your gums) at night and oil pull or use mouth wash in the morning? The residue should dislodge overnight and be easily washed off in the morning.”
WHAT I LIKE
- My teeth are definitely whiter. They already were but now it’s even more impressive when I smile.
- Simple, natural ingredients
- No scent, no flavor
- Included bamboo toothbrush
- You can still brush with your usual toothpaste after
- No aftertaste at all
- Generous amount. The website says it lasts 1-2 months but there is no way someone would go through this in a month.
WHAT I DON’T LIKE
- It’s messy as hell. If you like a pristine white sink, forget it. Your gray charcoal spit is going to inevitably splatter all over and it requires more than just a splash of water to rinse it away. I have to use a wash rag and wipe the sink down after every use. I even had to scrub my white quartz countertops because the charcoal powder temporarily stained them. It also splatters on the walls somehow too.
- Gum particles. I notice black specks actually underneath my gums for an hour or so after using this. Though activated charcoal is natural, it still concerns me. See photo.
- Grittiness. What feels like sand is left in your mouth afterwards, even with thorough rinsing. Sometimes I still feel it the next morning after brushing my teeeth the night before.
- Pregnancy. Hold up, what? I just read this article which of course scared the hell out of me. I am not about having a kid for some white teeth. However, the article clarifies that you’d need to injest a large amount.
Do I recommend it?
Gosh, I’m on the fence here, friends. It does work. However, at $40, the mess it makes is just such a damn hassle. A little goes a long way so I do think the value is good, but I’d recommend it without hesitation if it didn’t look like a zombie got murdered in my bathroom every time I use it. If you decide to try it, you can enter your email to save 20% off your first order or use code JULY20 right now.
Product provided by Carbon Coco for review purposes. No financial compensation was received and all opinions expressed are my own.