So either Hell has indeed frozen over or I’m posting a hair tutorial. I realized that while makeup is absolutely my comfort zone and place to shine, hair is far outside my comfort zone. I love trusting my hair to someone else, someone talented. I’m not good at doing hair because to me, it’s very sculptural. I once took a Ceramics 1 class in college. I once started bawling after failing to create a 9″ cylinder. I stick to faces.
But I have thick hair and a lot of it and so far, a personal hair stylist is still not arriving on the daily to do my hair. So alas, I’ve semi-mastered 3 go-to styles that even a hair-idiot like myself can do. Here’s probably my favorite one. Check out the video tutorial because I did it in one take and that never happens!
My anaconda don’t want none unless you gotta a big, fabulous bun, hun! You can use sock buns and straight pins! But please don’t lose that bun!
You will need
- Spongey donut device, sometimes called a Bun Maker. Conair makes this one for blondes and this one for brunettes. I have an extra large one I got from Claire’s.
- Straight hair pins. The Conair kit comes with some. I have extra long ones because I got the jumbo bun donut.
- Hair tie, preferably to match your hair color. The Conair kit includes one of these too.
- Hair serum and hairspray
1. Apply a serum to tame insane static flyaways. I used Proganix Weightless Oil. / 2. Brush out hair. I’m using the baller status brush, The Wet Brush. / 3. Pull hair into a ponytail, the height will determine your bun placement. / 4. Look at yourself. Be like, “mmhm. Sup girl”
5. Thread your ponytail through the brown donut. / 6. Spread hair evenly to cover donut. / 7. Begin wrapping the ends counterclockwise around the base, stabbing in straight pins as you go. I like to do one at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 and then add in between. / 8. Spray your palms with hairspray to smooth flyaway then attack the bun with spray to set it into place all day!
So let me know if you thought this sucked and if you’re over there, rolling your eyes like “please girl-never do another hair tutorial.” Because guess what? I won’t! I do care about what you want to see so totally let me know if you want to see 2 more hairstyles or if you’re like “nah-I’m good!”
Regardless, thanks so much for being here! I love you for taking time out of your day to hang with me and my hair. <3