Question for you…do you DC? Double cleanse that is.
I didn’t used to. I actually thought it was pointless, that a good cleanser would remove makeup, pollution and excess oil. I used to only double cleanse my face if I had done a Halloween makeup look or something really heavy.
But now? Now, I’m 36, and I’m an evolved woman. Now, if I wear makeup, I double cleanse, and here’s why.
Why Double Cleanse?
An oil or balm cleanser, like those featured in this post, breaks down and removes makeup, SPF, pollution and excess dirt and oil so that your actual cleanser can do just that, cleanse your skin, deliver key ingredients, exfoliate, treat, rebalance, what have you.
So what type of cleanser will effectively remove all the remains of the day before your regular cleanser steps in? Cleansing balms and oils both work similarly. I enjoy both equally so it just depends on your personal texture preference. Here are some of my recent faves.
Glo Skin Beauty Essential Cleansing Oil, $36
REN Clean Jelly Oil Cleanser, $32
Drunk Elephant Slaai Makeup Melting Butter Cleanser, $34
Naturopathica Manuka Honey Cleansing Balm, $62
Versed Day Dissolve Cleansing Balm, $18
All of the cleansing oils and balms above contain various natural oils, including, but not limited to jojoba, safflower, sweet almond, grape seed.
How to use cleansing oils, balms
- Begin with a dry face-this is key. With clean fingers or a spatula, scoop some cleansing balm out or pour about a teaspoon of cleansing oil into the palm of your hand.
- Massage the balm or oil over your entire face, closed eyes included.
- Wet your hands with lukewarm water and gently massage into your skin. Many oil and balm cleansers become white and “milky” during this step.
- You can rinse the cleanser off with water but I actually prefer to lay a soft, hot washcloth (like this) over my face, press for a few seconds and then gently wipe away. This part is super satisfying, seeing all the makeup removed.
- Now, you may follow with your usual cleanser, but make sure it’s gentle. If you need inspo, check out this post.
Ready to double cleanse?
I think you’ll find that you were never fully removing all your makeup before. Since I’ve been double cleansing, my skin has been far more stable. I have pretty much accepted it, especially if I’m wearing a full face of makeup, I’m double cleansing, no excuses.