There is a place where you can take your makeup to the next level, and then 5 decibels higher and know that you’ll fit right in. This place is a music festival-particularly an electronic dance music festival like Insomniac Event’s legendary Electric Daisy Carnival.
Insomniac Events puts on some of the most visually and auditory-rich experiences, blending art installations, circus-like performers and the heart-thumping sounds of the world’s best DJs and electronic music masterminds.
EDM culture is an interesting thing to behold. Full of stereotypes, sometimes ruined by an irresponsible few, it’s more than just the “rave stuff” seen at the surface.
Yes, you’ll see the furry boots, mascot costumes, glow sticks and stacks upon stacks of beaded bracelets known as kandi. I am a huge lover of the electronic music movement, starting back as far as Daft Punk and Benny Benassi. However, I am in it strictly for the music, and I dress very “regular” compared to any of the others you might see.
But I love it. I love seeing crowds of people, feeling completely free to express their creativity at full volume, all sharing in the same love of the music. I will wave a glow stick and dance my heart out, but you’ll never ever find me rolling, tripping balls or wearing the equivalent of a swimsuit to a show. I am there to feel that dubsteppy, hard-hitting, adrenaline-pumping bass and enjoy the music. That’s really what it’s all about after all, and luckily I share this theory with 2 awesome chicks who are ready to hit Chicago Speedway with me come May for Chicago’s first-ever Electric Daisy Carnival! I can’t wait to do more over-the-top looks for the festival. Enjoy the glitter and thanks for hanging out!
Here is a quick timelapse video that shows the transformation.
- Urban Decay shadow in Woodstock, applied wet
- Sephora + Pantone collection Color Cube Lid Stain, applied with flat synthetic brush
- Bare Minerals Eye Color in True Gold
- Maybelline Color Tattoo cream shadow in Bold Gold
- Wet n’ Wild Color Icon shadow in Kitten (purple in crease)
- Sally Girl glitter adhesive
- NYX loose glitter in Gold
- Loose glitters from a glitter tattoo kit
- Loreal Telescopic mascara
- False lashes from e.l.f., yellow ones leftover from Halloween-purchased at Target
- Gemstones from Michael’s craft store
- Pink Papaya lip stain in Pink Pucker. My sister-in-law sent this to me. It is so pigmented and long-lasting, which is exactly what you want for an all day/night festival.
I patted some of the Urban Decay Woodstock shadow over the stain for staying-power. Find it here.
- LORAC Liquid Lustre 3D Shine in Gold Shimmer on Cupid’s bow and patted over lip stain for a more dimensional effect
- Benefit Hoola bronzer
- Benefit Stay Don’t Stray eyelid primer
- Make Up Forever Full Cover concealer in 5, mixed with Stila Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer for a lightweight, glowy alternative to foundation. You will only sweat it off anyways!
- Beyond the Zone Color Buzz Hair Chalk in Pop Pink
- Orange daisy petals were cut from a fake gerbera daisy from Michael’s craft store…I think, glued on with Duo eyelash glue
- Hot Pink daisy from a Too Faced event at Sephora