The old Hollywood glamour/pinup look never really seems to go away.
It is a classic look, epitomized by cat eye liner and bright red lips. I tend to do my makeup in anything but a “classic” style so this pinup look was actually out of my comfort zone!
I know this look is a favorite though, and before doing my version, I established some ground rules based on pinup looks I’ve seen not work in the past.
How to be the best pinup you can be:
- Keep finishes primarily matte. Matte skin, no glossy red lips, no glitter.
- Find your right red. If you’re cool toned (pinkish undertones), choose a blue-based red. If warm, (yellow or olive undertones like me), choose an orange red.
- Don’t choose stark white or silver eyeshadow. While the focus should be on the liner, therefore the shadow minimal, I prefer to see some crease definition here to bring depth to the eyes. The white/silver shadow looks too cold and harsh. If you want to keep it simple, choose a beige.
- Use a lip brush and/or a lip liner. The red lip is the icing on the cake and it must be perfectly defined. You can over line your lips to even their shape out, but please do not over line your lips to create size. It will be obvious.
- Contour, skip blush. Because this look puts heavy emphasis on your eyes and lips, don’t let your bone structure recede into the background like a flat pancake canvas. Contour your face with a matte bronzer and if you must blush, make it minimal and matte.
- Define your brows. Nothing crazy severe, but in black and white photography back in the day, the brows needed to stand up to a flash bulb and not fade away. A nice strong brow will help to pull this whole look together.
I used all drugstore products in this tutorial. Because the pinup look is so popular, I wanted to make sure everyone had access to the same tools.
After trying this look out, I have to say, it’s like putting on a pair of very high heels! It lifts your mood and makes you immediately feel a little more confident.
If you’re having a bad day, try a pinup look and I bet things start to look up!
- Revlon PhotoReady Concealer in Light
- Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme foundation in Nude
- NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk
- e.l.f. Translucent Mattifying Powder
- Rimmel Professional Eyebrow pencil in Hazel
- NYC Smooth Skin bronzer in Sunny
- Maybelline Line Stiletto liquid liner in black
- Loreal Voluminous Million Lashes
- Loreal HIP Shadow Duo in Shady
- NYX Jumbo Lip Pencil in Hot Red
- Loreal Colour Riche lipstick in British Red